This blog is now part of a new practice called The Superhero's Way, more at the bottom of the page...but we still love MAGIC!

Magic is the everyday realization of those moments of "Oh wow!" we expect from fiction and films, when we see something we wish would be true in our own lives. Magic means we don't have to wish anymore...

You is something you DO, not believe!


Magic is the thing that makes us tingle, lights our fire, or comes to mind like a breath of fresh air. It opens your heart.


What is your favorite thing? How it makes you feel is what magic feels like.


Magic is not waiting for something to happen because you made a wish. It’s more like making the wish and living according to it at the same time. http://beauartsltd.blogspot.com/2016/12/magic-magical-thinking-and-story-about.html


Magic is all around us. We are not accustomed to saying that because we rarely slow down to notice the wonders created by nature, human ingenuity, or both.

Magic is a purposeful exchange of energy, not a power or an accident. We all make magic everyday, the learning is to embrace it!



Sunday, April 30, 2017

The Lesson of the Ragged Man


As one who preaches that we need to find peace and joy wherever we find ourselves, I still have to admit commuting by subway in NYC can be a huge challenge in that department. But once in a while, there is an amazing reward for my efforts.


The tail end of the evening rush hour is always a bit more rushed - 7 something means we’ve had a long day and can’t wait to alight someplace restful, or fun. Amidst the river of humans heading both up and down a staircase, a man with a cane was trying to make his way down the "up" lane. Wonderfully, without grumble or pause, we all shifted and cleared his way, which required a few “slow dance moves” between people moving in opposite directions.


Now, one of the bad habits I battle in public is the impulse to prejudge people by what I see in a second. Add this to the fact that I am particularly sensitive to smells, you an imagine my concern in the moment when I found myself, in that moment, in a fleeting pas-de-deux with someone who could only be described as -- echoing Amy Pond’s description of The Doctor --  “a raggedy man.” With no time to hold my breath and no inclination to be the buzzkill of this lovely interlude, I performed my part with grace and approached the top step expecting endure an olfactory assault.


And smell something I did, but nothing unpleasant. Scents are amazing at evoking time and place, and this one took me back to age 3. It’s a kind of herbal fragrance that permeated a special toy store I loved for its plush wildlife, and lingered in a couple of the stuffed animals I was lucky enough to have been given. It reconstituted a feeling that later evolved to become my deep affinity for animals, which is still a large part of my life.


I turned and caught a glimpse of this fellow before the descending passengers encircled him, his clothes were well worn, a clean and cozy mix of plaids and solids, his hair was a cloud of auburn curls. I wished I had seen his face…


Your world has been magic all along. The real miracle is seeing it differently.

No comments:

Post a Comment